This is the little figurine that was hidden inside a slice of galette du roi, the specialty holiday cake of Lyon. They hide a little porcelain figurine inside the cake, and whoever gets the slice with the figurine inside gets to be the king or queen for the night. This cake also comes with a paper crown to wear (quite reminiscent of the Burger King ones, actually). Of course, this game is much less satisfying when you buy the entire galette for yourself to eat over the week... alone... in bed... watching downloaded American television. Ok, so I'm a little ashamed to mention that on this blog. But trust me, after 6 straight hours of mind-numbing lecture on international labour law, a girl needs a little mindless entertainment, paired with a buttery pastry. Of course, when I bit into my 4th slice of said cake, I had already forgotten about the possibility of finding the porcelain figurine. But there it was, jutting out. It's not small enough to go unnoticed. It IS small enough to choke on. (France has not the litigious society we so endearingly embrace in the U.S.) It's roughly the heigh of 2/3 of a bobby-pin standing up straight, to give you perspective. I guess I also expected the porcelain figuring to be something of olden times, days of yore, you know... French knights in shining armor-style. Nope. This one is (as you can see) Sigourney Weaver's character, Dr. Grace Augustine, from the major motion picture, Avatar. I didn't see Avatar. I don't really like 3-D that much either. Oh well, now I will have my very own special and bizarre memories of Avatar, and how Sigourney Weaver almost choked me.
La Galette du Roi

No comments:
Post a Comment